MAKO SmartRobotics™ Robot at Lenmed Ethekwini Hospital and Heart Centre
Image Caption: Drs Calvin Veerasamy (left) and Satish Bugwandin (right) successfully complete the first full knee replacement using the MAKO SmartRobotics™ robot at Lenmed Ethekwini Hospital and Heart Centre
October 2021 – The orthopaedic MAKO SmartRobotics™ robot has arrived at Lenmed Ethekwini Hospital and Heart Centre.
The orthopaedic surgical robot, already well established and used widely in the USA, UK and Europe, will be the 5th in the country and the first in KwaZulu-Natal, and will be used to perform total hip, total knee and partial knee replacement surgery at the hospital. Over 500 000 surgeries have been completed globally with the MAKO SmartRobotics™ robot worldwide.
Amil Devchand, Lenmed CEO, commented, “the addition of this surgical robot to our offering of innovative and efficient surgical solutions aligns to the Group’s strategy of championing market-leading clinical outcomes and patient experience, we look forward to witnessing the vast benefits our patients will enjoy from the MAKO SmartRobotics™ robot.”
The MAKO SmartRobotics™ robot is unique in that it uses the following technology.
- 3D CT-based scanning – through creating a 3D scan which is specific to the patient’s structure, planning unique and accurate to the patient is done prior to the procedure.
- Accustop™ haptic technology – because of the accurate and specific programming to the patient, precise and safer surgery takes place under the guidance of the robot.
- Data analytics – throughout the procedure consistent data analytics provides the surgeon with information regarding movement and ligament tension.
Usage of the MAKO SmartRobotics™ robot has shown the following benefits.
- Soft tissue protection
- Reduction in early post-operative pain
- Improvement in patient satisfaction
- Reduction in complications
- Reduction in length of stay in hospital
- Reduction in readmissions
Following the first surgeries conducted at the hospital using the MAKO SmartRobotics™ robot, Dr Calvin Veerasamy shared that “embracing robotic technology has now afforded orthopaedic surgeons an opportunity to improve the accuracy and safety of joint replacement surgery thereby improving patient outcomes.”
Lenmed Ethekwini Hospital and Heart Centre looks forward to all of its orthopaedic surgeons utilizing the remarkable robot.
For further information please contact: