Preparations for Your Stay
Plan a visit to the maternity unit, sign up for ante-natal classes and see what to pack for yourself and your new baby and when to come to the hospital. It’s all in this section.
Before admission to the hospital, you are welcome to visit the maternity unit and see where you will be delivering your baby. The nursing staff will orientate you to the unit and the nursery.
When you are at the hospital the receptionist can enquire with the unit when will be convenient for orientation. You may also call the nursing manager or sister in charge in the maternity unit. Please be sure to ask lots of questions.
Please enquire about our ante-natal classes.
When should you come to the hospital?
Labour is at times slow and you may have some false alarms. When in doubt, contact your doctor/labour unit.
The following could be signs of labour:
- When your contractions become regular occurring every ten minutes or less
- You start to feel uncomfortable e.g. backache
- Your water breaks
- You experience a vaginal discharge e.g. clear liquid tinged brown or green
- Bleeding from the vagina / mucous plug with small amount of blood
Length of stay
This will depend on your Obstetrician/Gynaecologist and your condition. Generally, for a normal delivery one to two days and for a Caesarean Section three to four days.
What to bring for yourself:
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Bath towel and face cloth
- Change for telephone calls/phone card</li.
- Sanitary pads
- Breast pads
- Nipple cream
- Nipple shields (optional)
- Books or magazines
- Pyjamas/night dress (front fastening)
- Underwear (3 pairs)
- Dressing gown
- Change of clothes for departure
- A pair of socks
- Feeding bras if breast feeding
- A support bra if not breast feeding
Valuables and Indemnity
All valuables and cellphones are kept at your own risk. It is advised that you do not bring valuables when admitted. Lenmed and its staff are absolved from any liability in respect of any loss of personal effects sustained by visitors and patients.
Do not bring:
Ensure that your nails are free from varnish and false nails
What to bring for baby:
- Three set of clothes
- Three vests
- Three pairs of booties
- Nappies (24)
- Surgical Spirits
- Cotton Wool
- Baby Shampoo
- Baby Oil
- Baby Wipes
- Dummy (Optional)
- Bottle and teat (Optional)