Feel Good Story: Miracle recovery at Lenmed Shifa Private Hospital Orthopaedics Unit
It was with immense relief and a heart full of gratitude that motor vehicle accident patient, Eric Mdabe went home after spending a mammoth 5 months in hospital!
Lenmed Shifa Private Hospital was so delighted with the beautiful smiles and good cheer from Mr Eric Tusan Mdabe, who was discharged after 5 months, of being admitted, post a motor vehicle accident. He has experienced an excellent medical recovery and is extremely impressed with the care received from the entire Hospital. Mr Mdabe underwent 15 procedures at the facility and so glad to be going home.
In Mdabe’s words “Shifa Private Hospital was my home away from home for the past 5 months. From the nursing care, to cleaning, to the catering and actually all staff and management, I am grateful for the care and excellent service.”
Resident Orthopaedic Surgeon, Dr Desmond Kodi said “ Mr Mdabe had suffered pulmonary embolism and multiple injuries to all 4 limbs. Mr Mdabe’s recovery truly is a miracle indeed, thanks to the team at Shifa Private Hospital. The nursing care has been exceptional and this is what truly helped with the patients recovery as well”
Ensuring our patients, their families, our communities receive exceptional clinical care and enjoy an excellent experience while with us, speaks directly to Lenmed’s purpose of creating healthier and prosperous communities, we wish Mr Ndabe all the very best in his recovery.
Some of the procedures Mr Mdabe underwent:
- Venogram (looking at veins in the lower limbs) a special filter was inserted into his left groin to prevent numerous blood clots in his legs to reach the heart lungs or brain. This is performed in the case of high-risk trauma and long term bed rest.
- Wires were inserted into his wrist to stabilize his wrist fracture.
- Due to extensive tibular/fibula (lower limb) fractures, external pins were inserted through the skin into the bone which was then held to his leg by with an external frame.
- He had also sustained extensive muscular and nerve damage in right arm and hand, thereby undergoing various nerve and muscle repair surgical interventions.
- He had also sustained multiple open wounds which were all debrided (cleaning scrubbing of the wounds) on multiple occasions as rubble or debris may have entered into the wounds from the accident.
- He had sustained a fracture to the right thigh bone so internal screws were applied to stabilize the fracture.
- As he had sustained a high energy trauma, the shear impact on his right wrist caused displacements of bone fragments, which was internally fixated to stabilize the fracture.
- Mr Mdabe had ORIF (Open reduction internal fixation), which is open surgery to stabilize his elbow fracture as well as extensive nerve repair.
- Wound management involved wound changes and manipulations of fractures under anaesthetic during his stay.
- Manipulation of right hip and placement of screws to his left knee due to fracture of knee.
- Further wound care and plastic surgery to his extensive wounds.
- Mr Mdabe underwent a total hip replacement. He has since being discharged and undergoing intensive physiotherapy.
For any further information, please contact the Lenmed Shifa Private Hospital :
Lorna Rashid, Stakeholder Relations Manager
Email: [email protected]
Contact: +27 31 240 5012